Awaze Tours invites you to the land of the long distance runner for a unique experience designed for those who love to run.
Every year in November, thousands of runners swell the streets of Addis Ababa for a fantastic celebration of Ethiopia’s national sport. The Great Ethiopian Run, Africa’s largest, is open to runners of all abilities, ages, and nationalites.
In 2016, the race will take place on Sunday, 20 November and will start and finish in Addis’s massive Meskel Square. The course is a single 10 kilometer loop with plenty of aid stations and live entertainment throughout. Organized by a highly professional team of Ethiopians who have years of experience managing races in Ethiopia and abroad, the “GER" is again expected to draw over 40,000 runners from around the world.
- The average high temperature during November is a comfortable 23°C or 73°F.
- The probability of rain on any day in November is 7%.
- Addis Ababa sits at an altitude of 2,355 meters or 7,726 feet above sea level.
- The running surface for the entire course is asphalt.
- All water distributed at the aid stations is purified and delivered in sealed packaging.
Anyone may sign up directly with the race. You may also let us take care of your registration by participating in Awaze Tours' special “Run Ethiopia” tour package.
Our tour package includes:
- All race fees. (This covers entry into the race, race t-shirt, pre-race pasta dinner.)
- Two hotel nights: 19, and 20 November. (Option to book additional hotel nights.)
- Airport pick up and drop off.
- Personal delivery of your bib number, race t-shirt, and race information.
- Transport to and from your hotel to the race pasta party on Saturday night.
- Transport to and from your hotel to the race start/finish area.
- Post race lunch.
- Race day evening dinner at a traditonal restaurant featuring dancing and music from Ethiopia’s many diverse ethnic groups.
- Optional city tour of Addis Ababa on Saturday.
- Optional guided run (Friday afternoon or Saturday morning) in the surrounding Entoto hills, the famous training ground of Ethiopia’s many Olympic champions.
- Optional 3-day, 2-night “Runners Tour” (open to all abilities) to Ethiopia’s Asella region, home to many of Ethiopia’s great runners.
- Special rates on any of our scheduled tours. Please review our website for tours and contact us regarding availability.
The Great Ethiopian Run is a fantastic experience for all running enthusiasts. Contact us for details and any questions.